256 marginal st. bldg 32
east boston, MA 02128
note: the charlestown tap room is CLOSED
*no tours thursdays, growlers and cans only
***special hours on labor day:
12pm-5pm (tasting and to-go only)
NEW ON TAP
an unfiltered blend of apples, pumpkin, and chai spices. if fall were a drink, it'd be this.
cranberry. is. back. just kidding. but we did take cranberry-lime cider, aged it in tequila barrels, and came out the other side with red agave.
ALSO ON TAP
berries on berries. jam-packed with blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. tart, not sweet.
a tribute to hazy memories of ross and tyler’s semester in hawaii many years ago. with the perfect balance of tropical juiciness and tartness, one sip will have you feeling like you’re cruising down the coastline with the boys, puffing on some maui wowie and heading for the beach.
looking for a tour? make a reservation and we'll show you around (on us), topped off with samples (on us) and a flight of cider (also on us).
getting an error or grayed-out page while trying to book a tour? that means the tour is sold out, unfortunately...sorry about that. while we can't add extra people to sold-out tours, we'd still love to have you in to taste some cider and snag some growlers or cans. come on by any time we're open and we'll have plenty for you to try, including some exclusive small batch stuff you can't get in stores.
GROWLERS/KEGS/CANS/MERCHlooking for growlers, kegs, cans, or merch? swing by our east boston cider house during normal tour hours to try samples of any of our ciders on tap and grab some cans and growlers to go. available ciders:
- ORIGINAL BLEND - samples, growlers, cans, 1/6bbl kegs, 1/2bbl kegs
- PUMPKIN BLEND - samples, growlers, cans, 1/6bbl kegs
- DOUBLE BLEND - samples, growlers, cans, 1/6bbls
- DRIER SIDE - samples, growlers, cans, 1/6bbls
- BLUEBERRY LEMONADE - samples & growlers only (cider house exclusive)
- RED AGAVE - samples & growlers only (cider house exclusive)
- WILD BERRY - samples, growlers, cans, 1/6bbl kegs
- ALOHA FRIDAY - samples & growlers
we pay our employees so you don’t have to. keep your tip money and buy your mom some flowers. if you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, we’ll donate it to a local cause carefully chosen by downeasters.
this month taproom tips will be donated to…
HarborArts works with the East Boston community and the Boston Harbor Shipyard to create a stage for dialogue through public art. We are a 14-acre rotating art collection in an open-air industrial setting, representing local and international artists, located on the Boston HarborWalk and open year-round to the public free of charge.
Works are on view at HarborArts on a rotating basis, usually for a minimum of one year. Many works are temporary in nature due to the outdoor location and natural weathering that occurs here. The gritty textures of the working Shipyard and its buildings, and our stunning views of the harbor and Boston skyline, are part of the visitor’s experience of this unique place.
“We are excited about enlivening the Boston waterfront with a vital destination for arts. We consider ourselves very lucky to be able to host all this great talent here.” –Stephen Israel, HarborArts Founder
unfortunately, we can no longer allow pets on the cider house production floor due to fun police (us gov’t) regulations. we do have space to tie your good boy/girl while you grab what you need.
- THE T - take the blue line to maverick station. downeast is a 0.6 mile, 12 minute stroll through east boston’s jeffries point. give yourself extra time to make a pitstop at piers park (undercover best spot for picnics or pick up b-ball).
- BY BOAT - prefer to cruise over? so do we. boston harbor cruises offers water taxi pick up spots across the city’s waterfront. give them at ring at 617-227-4321 for drop off in the east boston shipyard, stop #68. the ride over doubles as one of the best ways to see the city.
- BY CAR - if you have to drive, toss the address into your gps. please note…
- BY UBER OR LYFT - turns out a lot of drivers are sadistic maniacs that like to drop people off in the creepy vacant parking lot where our old facility was in charlestown. we don't know you, but you probably don't deserve that... probably. when you're setting the destination in your app, make sure to put in "256 marginal st east boston" and not just "downeast cider house"-- and just double-check with the driver that they know you're going to east boston. otherwise, you're in for a pretty unfortunate surprise.
we have 16 parking spaces directly in front of our building (building 32…please do not park anywhere else in the shipyard). there are plenty of spots along marginal street leading into the shipyard if you're cool with walking a few feet.